Friday, April 24, 2009

What really matters to me.

Superficial. That is the best word I can use to describe things that have been of the upmost importance to me lately. We have been working on our landscaping and getting our house in order. I have also started Weight Watchers and been working towards shedding a few pounds. As I have reflected on this past month, I have definitely gone into some self-reflection. What really matters to me? If I had to sum it up in 1 word, it would be....FAMILY.
Last Sunday I literally freaked out. (Matt will attest to this.) I childlishly threw my plate in the sink and stormed off. I left Matt standing there with his hands in the air saying, "What is the matter with you?" This question has stuck with me all week. "What is the matter with me?" I think it all goes back to the superficial things in my life. I have been concentrating more on these things that truly do not make me happy then enjoying those people who DO make me happy.

My boys and husband bring me so much joy I can't even explain it. Even though I get frustrated (really frustrated at times) they are the ones who pick me up off the floor. I was having a really bad day a few days ago and I could not stop crying. Carter came up to me and gave me a hug and said, "Mommy, why are you crying all the time today?" The members of my family are the only ones who are perceptive to my feelings and why not dedicate most of my time and efforts to helping and loving them.
So move over housework, landscaping, losing weight, and work - I've got some people to take care of.

And in case you forgot what the kiddos look like:
fun with cousins from Texas - we had so much fun and we wished they lived closer (hint, hint).

St. Patty Day pancakes

Little Jax

We all scream for ice cream!!

4 comments:

Just us Three said...

I'm sorry you have been having a hard time. I feel like we don't get to see each other much anymore. I guess we better change that. The pictures are cute too. Jax is looking so old.

andrea wardle said...

I need to come give you a big hug and we can cry together! Your boys are getting too big. Tell them to stop until I can see you again!

Talai said...

I think it is such a tricky balance to try and figure out when we need to concentrate on ourselves and when we need to step outside ourselves. While I have no doubt (as I have learned from my own experience) that serving others can bring a sour mood into a happy one almost instantly, especially when we serve those we love most (our family and our Heavenly Father) I have also found that if you completely forget about you and don't feed your own soul and body that you could also end up feeling pretty bad. I hope you have happier days ahead. I completely understanding days like you just described, but sometimes having those days do help us re-evaluate what is important.

Oh, and I must mention how adorable your boys are. I just those curls!

Rich and Nickie said...

I'm so happy I came acrossed this post because I CAN TOTALLY RELATE! I am feeling the exact same way and I too find myself throwing little pitty parties for myself. I also have weight to lose, a home to put together (with no money), piles of laundry etc and it's weighing. The thing that weighs me down the most is my weight and I find myself getting grumpy with my children because of how I feel about myself...arghhh! And I'm wise enough to know it's Satan playing on this weakness of mine telling me I'm not good enough. But then I have to remind myself that the most important thing is my family and having children is never easy on our bodies and I know it's SOOOOO WORTH getting these little ones to us even if it means our bodies will never be the same. Keep up the good work. I'm trying to work hard myself so we will keep eachother motivated! We just moved to West Jordan...it would be fun to get together.