Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I'm a Big Kid Now!

We have definitely started to settle in and it is amazing how much the boys have grown to love it here in such a short period of time. There are a whole bunch of kids on our street and we love living on a cul-de-sac. It will be hard to live anywhere but a cul-de-sac now that we do. For the first few days here I kept asking the boys if they wanted to go back to Utah (since I really wanted to). To my surprise, they both said, "No." l asked Carter if he wanted to because I did and he said, "Mommy you can go back and I'll stay here with daddy!" I love it! Matt and his boys have been really good buds lately and I love to see that father-son bond grow stronger every day.

Carter met a huge milestone last night: He learned how to ride without training wheels! It was amazing how fast he picked up on it. When we moved we had taken his training wheels off for the ease of packing his bike. I kept telling him we needed to try riding his bike without training wheels and he said, "No mom, we need to put the training wheels back on." Yesterday I decided to have the boys ride their bikes down to the mailbox down the street. I held onto the bike pretty much the entire way from the mailbox back home. When we got back to the cul-de-sac, I was distracted and next thing I know he had figured out how to get on his bike and he kept his balance for about 15 seconds. Then he did it again, and again, staying on longer each time. It was the craziest thing as I was for sure he would have to experience a few bumps and bruises before he learned how.

Also, Arizona is on a modified year-round school too, so Carter actually starts school on July 20 and I just found out that it is full-day kindergarten. I'm not sure how I feel about all-day kindergarten but I guess we will soon find out. Last school year I had a friend whose little girl was going to kindergarten and she was so sad. I thought to myself that she was crazy and I thought I would just be excited for this new adventure for him. I am excited for him, but I am very sad that he will be gone ALL day long. I know he is ready for it though and it is the next big step for him. I just can't believe he is my son as it seems like just yesterday I was rocking him to sleep.

P.S. Unfortunately we left our camera in Utah, so I will post pictures as soon as I can retrieve it! :)

5 comments:

Mindi said...

Good job Carter! I am so glad that you live in a good neighborhood. That is crazy about Carter's kindergarten. He'll love it.

Kim said...

I am so glad to hear you guys are settled and and feeling so at home. Jessica I know how hard moving away is! You are such a trooper!

The Shane Gang said...

Yes, It is a good neighborhood but NEVER as good as our old one. :)

Amy said...

Glad the boys are loving it, hopefully you can follow. It is so hard to change something you love. So exciting Carter is starting Kindergarten. Both Courtney and Dylan did all day and loved it. The teachers all say that even the kids that have a hard time with the all day thing, are fine after the first month. Good luck!! We miss you guys!!

kholbro said...

Glad your family is happy there. That's awesome your in a cul-de-sac, I agree...I don't think I could ever not live in a cul-de-sac, it's the best!