Monday, August 25, 2008

Run Jess, Run!

So about 3 months ago my friend Kari challenged me to do the Hobble Creek Half Marathon with her. I have NEVER really wanted to do something like this and I always told myself that I wouldn't, but crazy me I signed up. We started training and I really enjoyed getting out and having a few nights out with Kari. I soon found my love for running once again and really started enjoying myself and the fresh air!

The race came and Kari and I started out really fast! By mile 6 I think we had averaged a 9-minute mile (okay so that is fast for me). I had to take a pit stop, so Kari ran on ahead! She ended up finishing with at time of 2 hours and 2 minutes. I came in some 15 minutes later (long pit stop I know) at 2 hours and 17 minutes for an average mile of 10:30. I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself and (us). My friend Andrea said that I would become addicted, and I thought, nah, no way. But now that it is all said and done, I think I might be headed in that direction. The St. George Half-Marathon in January is the next one on the list! I hope I can just get a better time. Thanks again Kari for training with me and thanks to my family for being there at the finish line! What a great to surprise to see them all cheering me on! Love ya all!


Matt showed up a few minutes after the picture was taken (he had to work).

14 comments:

Jayleen said...

WOW...WTG Jess, that is so awesome!!! You should be totally proud of yourself for training and doing it!

Amy said...

That is so cool that you loved it enough to finish this race, plus still want to do another. You're awesome.

Talai said...

Congrats Jessica. Not only did you finish with a great time, but you did it in style. I love your top!

The Shane Gang said...

Talai - I love the top too! Quiz for the everyone for the day! How much do you think I paid for it?

Tiff said...

Way to go!! I too fell in love with running this summer. It's such an awesome feeling when you finally finish. Good job. We'll have to go running when you become my neighbor:) Tell Kari "hi" for me. I miss playing soccer with her. Does she have a blog?

Andrea said...

Awesome time!! You were fast! I love that you're almost addicted and already thinking about Painter's Half in St. George. Hopefully I'll see you at that one!I think it's sweet that your family came to support you! Congrats on finishing!

Richie said...

Congratulations, Jess! What a feat! From one runner to another - I'm so happy for you! Not many things are as satisfying as being successful at something you work so hard to achieve.

The Shane Gang said...

This is Matt
You would not believe how sweet it is that my wife ran this race. I have always tried her to get her to do one, just as a goal to reach for. Well she blew that goal out of the water with that unbelievable fast time. I am so proud of her. I tried so hard to make it there for the finish. Almost got a ticket, slightly over the speed limit and I think I broke the record for the time it takes to get from Alpine to Mapleton

Team 3SA said...

Love you honey!! BTW...my tope was 6 bucks!

The Jackson Three said...

Congrats....what an accomplishment!

THE BRAITHWAITE'S said...

Good job sis! I am very impressed. That definitely takes determination. You're awesome! When's the big move happening? Have you got it painted yet?

Love ya!

Just us Three said...

Cute Post and it was really fun to run with you. I am really sad that your moving but I guess we can still run. You just motivate me so much better than I do myself!

bloggingchristy said...

Whoa, you are awesome! GOod job, I really am impressed. I guess my competive older sister nature will come out now and I'll have to run a half too!! Thanks alot Jess!!

Karene said...

Hey Jessica! What a fun blast from the past to see your comment on our blog and come check out yours...CUTE family, and congrats on the half marathon! That's awesome! Maybe I'll see you in St. George in January because as it turns out I'm training for that race as well. I'm pretty darn sure I won't come close to your time though. Way to go!